{This life is not at all what I expected and yet I long to live fully and with great joy as I make the very most of my one wild and crazy adventure. Regardless of what the circumstances may hold, I have NO DOUBT there is a great and mighty plan and I am eagerly anticipating all the King has in store for me}
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
12 Years a Slave
In my valiant efforts to see all things Oscar nominated, I coerced (without much convincing I might add) Steven into a movie on Sunday afternoon. We went to 12 Years a Slave and I was not prepared. I anticipated it would be a hard movie to watch; however, I was moved in a deep and profound way - I was literally and legitimately rendered speechless. There was one point in the film when my heart was so deeply invested in the (true) story that I almost just erupted into agonizing sobs. It is horrifying to know that we did this to people and not very long ago. Throughout the entire film there is only one white man that stands up for equality. And though he is afraid, he decided to pursue justice. I know that history is sordid and grotesque and that we have come so far, but we've done so through the blood, sweat, tears, and the loss of many. This one man did the right thing and ultimately (spoiler alert) rescued a life and reunited a family. As I contemplated the movie later that evening I was struck repeatedly by the question of what our responsibility is for the gross injustices that are happening worldwide. I know that God wants more for us than to enjoy our comfortable and richly blessed existence. I know He calls us to move and act and give and love beyond what we believe comprehensible. We are called to walk boldly into the frightening and illuminate it with His light and hope. I don't know where the Lord is going to use me and I know I cannot solve all the unspeakable realities in this world, but I pray that I'll be courageous and that my life will in some way have value far beyond myself. I pray that if I am ever faced with such a choice, I will do right. 12 Years a Slave is a phenomenal film - it is one that everyone should see - we need to remember - because we definitely do not want to go back. I don't know if it will win the Oscar, but it is definitely deserving of recognition and celebration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment